So Griffin and I had a wonderful evening at Tucanos a few weeks back. Um um um we stuffed ourselves with the incredible meats and grilled pineapple and salad bar offered. It was so delicious. We were using a giftcard along with my birthday free meal coupon. But the with remainder money on the gift card Griffin splurged and got one of their desserts...yummy!!!!! (see below) It was a ginormous chocolate cake slice topped with a divine cocunut glaze. Amazing! But there was one down side...
The next day Jaylee was inconsolable! She was spitting up each meal and would never calm down. She didn't sleep more than 5 minute naps throughout the entire day and continued to have the hardest time pushing stuff out. We didn't know what to do but then I read in Babywise a description EXACTLY like Jaylee about a boy named Asher.
It reads, "Asher showed all the normal hunger signals, began to nurse ferociously, and then suddenly stop. he would pull away from me and just start screaming. I knew something was wrong, but what? I tried eveything. Nothing helped. Ashwer took very short naps, 30 minutes, if I could get him to sleep at all. At night he would wake four to five times. Nothing brought ocmfort to my son."
Then the book counsels to get help for reflux because if your baby develops and aversion to eating then it could leave to very severe problems.
So the next day i called the nurse who without me prompting her said it sounded like reflux. We got an appointment with our Doctor for later that day. But amazingly at our appointment my doctor said it probably wasn't reflux. He said because her stomach was so huge and because Jaylee's stools have been such odd colors that it was an indication of gas...which is related to things I'm eating. If I changed my diet and found no difference with her spitting up and everything else then I was to come back and get a prescription to try to treat her for reflux.
Can you believe that? He had the nerve to tell me that it was probably something I was eating and that I needed to change my diet!!! The worst part was that he said the top five foods that cause problems are 1)DAIRY (includes CHOCOLATE!!!!) 2)wheat 3)nuts 4)gassy vegetables and 5) spicy foods
So I went home very depressed at the idea of giving up my cheese and chocolate. Deep down i knew that the amount of wheat I ate was also probably a problem. But lets just say the next week was very discouraging and difficult trying to figure out what correlated with her fussiness.
But then I talked with a friend who referred me to a resource online "Dr. Sears" who recomends a very basic diet consisting of turkey, potatoes, rice based products, zucchini/summer squash, and pears. Then gradually you add in other foods to figure out what triggers the unconsolable behaviour and the aversion to eating within your baby. So that is what I did for over a week....only on those foods...
This is pretty much what I ate for dinner and or lunch every day.
Let me just say that jaylee's behavior has improved soooooo much! But the hard thing is that I've found not only cannot i not eat any dairy or wheat (and that substitution foods are dang expensive) but I cannot eat a lot of any food at one time... i'm guessing too many of the proteins in my body at once mean too many in my breat milk...which mean too many in jaylee's tummy at one time. So I really cannot ever binge on anything which has been very difficult for me and depressing at times! I love my food.
But she eats better, she rarely spits up now, she sleeps quieter at night and her stools come out slightly better. Plus i don't have to stuff my baby with meds to get these results. Its a sacrifice but its worth it...almost all the time haha.


I think I would die if I had to take on a diet like that! But I'm so happy to hear that Jaylee is responding so well to it! My good friend, Danielle, had a similar experience with her son and the diet transformed her fussy baby into a happy little guy. Definitely worth it to get a good nights sleep. But sooo hard not to binge sometimes!
ReplyDeleteChristi! I'm sorry I've been so out of touch after we talked! But I am SO glad to hear that the Dr. Sears diet worked out for you. I read Babywise but none of the principles worked for us because Mason was so sick all the time because of his food sensitivities that any sleep training was out of the question. And I am happy to report that after almost a year of not eating anything delicious, Mason has completely outgrown all his food allergies, even dairy doesn't seem to be a problem now. He eats cheese and yogurt and still sleeps through the night! (most of the time) =) You are a wonderful mama to stick with nursing, it really is the best thing for her, and worth all the food sacrifices. I would do it all again if I had to!
ReplyDelete