Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Our Pea Seed

Back in the early Fall, one of Jaylee's Joy School lessons was about seeds. She was given a variety of seeds to put in a plastic, ziplock bag accompanied by a wet napkin. We were instructed to blow air into it daily and keep it by a sunny window for 1-2 weeks until it started to germinate (i think that's the right word?). As you can tell, this was a very new process for me. As a child I never grew anything from a seed to maturity by myself. So let's just say I spent a few days making trips to Dales to get their tips and insights on how to help a seed grow. (I even called Grandpa Ken a couple times to get more details I forgot to ask at Dales) :)

So here's our process...
We bought potting soil, coconut pots, plant food and off we were in mid October...

After they had grown the little things coming off the seed while in the bags (as you can see in Jaylee's hands here)


then we put them in the potting soil about an inch down


Then we put them in the window. It's funny, I forgot we had 2 seeds that sprouted until I went back to find these pictures!


But this happened quite a few times...and probably was main reason seedling #2 never grew. :(


Beginning of January and look!



Middle of January

Beginning February


A week later we transplanted outside, trying to get it to cling onto fishing wire we attached to the rain gutter close to the roof. It's pretty much as tall as Jaylee here!


Within a few days it grew its first pea pod!!! (the size of my fingernail). It was so cool to be part of CREATION!


And by the end of the month of February, a cold, windy frost came in and the entire plant died! :(
But not before Jaylee could pick off 1 pea pod to eat! :)



Here's the video of Jaylee eating it! :) I was so proud of us for actually doing it!


No comments:

Post a Comment