Saturday, March 19, 2016

A Gift from Grandpa Charlie

Happy St. Patricks Day! In Griffin's family, there is a lot of Irish blood. Griffin is 25% Irish, 25% English and 50% latin. His Grandmother was 100% Irish I believe and so they celebrated fully the whole Irish meal and festivities during Griffin's early childhood. Anita got used to those traditions while married to Griffin's Dad, Charlie. Anita prepared a wonderful dinner including corn beef, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, and the much needed IRISH SODA BREAD! I had never had this before meeting Anita. I found out that not all Irish Soda breads are created equal. She knows how to pick em. Someday we'll get adventurous and actually try to make Griffin's Grandma's recipe...someday. ha.

Besides the food, Jaylee and I had fun making our own St. Patrick's Day crafts. We made two of the rainbow chains over the pots of gold...one for our next door elderly neighbor. 






The most special part of St. Patrick's Day for me was when Griffin pulled out the St. Patrick's Day dog we've been saving for Jaylee from Griffin's Dad. It was originally a gift for Griffin, but due to limited space we weren't able to keep many things from Griffin's Dad, Charlie, when he passed in July 2012. Griffin explained said to Jaylee, "Grandpa Charlie would  have wanted you to have this." It's wonderful having something in our home to remind us of Griffin's Dad, especially since Jaylee held it and immediately said to it, "I love you." The second best part was the name Jaylee gave the dog, "Jiggy". (we explained later how that was a total Irish thing!) Very special day.

1 comment:

  1. I made Irish Soda Bread one year, but I was not impressed (it was like an enormous sweet biscuit that took so long to cook inside that the outside was really crunchy)... so maybe I chose the wrong recipe!

    ReplyDelete